The AGC traces its beginnings to the early 1890s when a group of independent evangelical churches became known as the Christian Workers' Church of Canada, under a charter granted to Dr. P.W. Philpott, pastor of the Gospel Tabernacle in Hamilton, Ontario. These churches were concerned about the growth of theological liberalism and, in 1922, felt the need to unite with others who practiced a simple biblical faith. In 1925, because other groups with contrasting doctrine and practice were using similar names, a new charter under the name of Associated Gospel Churches was secured from the Canadian government. The need for a strong evangelical church association was evident from the number of independent churches and missions, which joined the AGC in the years that followed. Although some early AGC churches sent out workers to begin new Sunday Schools, a more aggressive church extension program did not come about until later. In 1940, a group of western churches sought affiliation with the AGC and became the basis of what is now known as the Canada West Region. The Quebec charter was registered in 1944. With the new openness of the French population in Quebec, the AGC and UFM International mission (now CrossWorld) joined hands to begin a French work in Quebec in 1972.
A major restructuring of the AGC took place in 1989, to meet the needs of a widespread and diverse nation, of a changing society and of a growing group of churches, while still being true to the commitment to their historic distinctives. The changes grew out of an explicit Statement of Purpose and Objectives contained in their Constitution. In 2002, a further redefinition of their Purpose, Vision and Values was undertaken. There was also a re-alignment of regions requiring a restructuring.
In 1930, special outreach services were held in Beamsville that resulted in the founding of what is now known as Calvary Gospel Church. Meeting initially in a storefront building on King Street, the church grew rapidly. In 1939, the church moved to their building on Queen Street and then in 1974, relocated to our present location at 4129 Hixon Street.
Calvary Gospel Church is a story about the grace of God, who sovereignly chose to reach our community with the Gospel. We are vigorously committed to the gospel and its transforming power. We articulate who were are like this: "We are church of imperfect people, saved by grace, passionate about the glory of God and seeking to make Jesus known!" We praise the Lord for all that He has done, is doing, and will do in the future.